September is a time to refresh and reset - to look to the season ahead, what we need to update our wardrobe, how to wear items in new ways and what trends to buy into (or not!).
But also to think about what are those items that anchor our outfits, that ground those new season looks and bring versatility to our wardrobes. In some ways finding great basics that form the core of your wardrobe can be just as challenging as finding a hero piece. But there are brands that consistently deliver on great trendless pieces that stand the test of time. Here are 10 of my favourite anti-hero brands.
1. The Row - Relaxed silhouettes and timeless colour palettes. Yes, it is very luxury (with a price tag to prove it) but you will never regret buying a piece from this cult label.
Key Piece - I have my eye on this satin bag
2. Max Mara - They make wardrobe staples feel luxurious and nonchalant. It’s understated in the right way.
Key Piece - A coat of course! The 101801 coat to be exact. Designed for Max Mara by Anne Marie Beretta in 1981, it’s been in constant production since she conceived it.
3. Massimo Dutti - That Max Mara elegance on a high street budget.
Key Piece - Their Limited Edition Collection of luxe leather pieces are worth investing in.
4. Closed - A German brand offering slick, modern pieces for everyday.
Key Piece - Great for denim including this dress
5. Toteme- For basics that don’t feel basic! Beautiful wardrobe essentials with a scandi sensibility (read COOL).
Key Piece - This neutral blouse is already on high rotation in my wardrobe.
6. Joseph - Based on a framework of closet essentials mixed with deconstructed silhouettes and great colour combinations
Key Piece - Leather leggings…with stretch. A feat of fabric engineering.
7. Arket - Their tag line is ‘Premium Fashion, Everyday Style.’ Yep, that works.
Key Piece - An oversized cashmere jumper for that ‘borrowed from the boys’ look.
8. COS - Great fabrications for the price. Basics with an architectural edge.
Key Piece - They do black so well. These trousers will be a workwear hero
9. UNIGLO - The antithesis of disposable. Simple and universal pieces that can be styled in your own way.
Key Piece - The extra fine merino wool crew neck sweaters
10. My Wardrobe HQ - But what if you want to tap into the trends in a more sustainable way? Renting trend focused designer pieces is good environmentally and financially. Sign up now!