I love the optimism of September, it's a marker for fresh starts and looking ahead. In the spirit of the starting-over mood, now is the time to take your winter clothes out of storage, review each item and return it to your wardrobe. Now take a step back and see how it looks. You might see a collection of random pieces that don’t work together and you need to know how to make your wardrobe work harder or you might see a wardrobe of outdated items that don’t compliment your lifestyle or where you want to be with your personal style. If you are not 100% happy with what you see in your wardrobe then I would love to help you build a wearable wardrobe of items you love and are complimented on. But in the meantime here are my top 5 transitional must haves to ease you back into cool morning and shorter days.
1. Leather jacket - I don’t leave the house at the moment without my leather jacket, it is endlessly versatile - over your favourite printed dress, with a t shirt and jeans or a polo neck and wool trouser. And did I mention they are waterproof! Is leather ageing? No! But consider the style and colour. For a more classic style I love Theory’s leather jackets with clean lines and minimal detailing. On the high street try Massimo Dutti.
2. Slippers & Mules - the easiest way to update your denim this season is with a backless shoe. If you are on the fence about this look, you might like to know that this style has magical leg lengthening capabilities. Up the anti with this velvet version from Iris and Ink. Great high street versions can be found at & Other Stories
3. Blazer - Loved for all the same reasons as a leather jacket, it is perennially useful. Look for textured styles and push up the sleeves for a more relaxed look. I love Blaze Milano, Isabel Marant and on the high street Zara, Arket and Warehouse have good styles.
4. Dresses with sleeves - Wear to work, wear to dinner or wear on the weekend. A dress with sleeves and a jacket helps me ease into the cooler months - You still have that carefree summer vibe but with the coverage you need for autumn. Wear with flats until your ankles can’t stand the cold any longer and then swap for boots. The perfect day to night piece.
5. Cotton knitwear - The knit to wear now. Keeps you warm on the early morning school run and feels comfortable throughout the day. Update your Breton style with a new sleeve shape like this from M&S and add a leather skirt and ankle boots.
Penny Bennett is a Personal Stylist and Personal Shopper and Image Consultant who works with successful men and women from London and the south east who feel their wardrobe is letting them down and they need a fresh pair of eyes to fine tune their style.