You’ve spent the summer enjoying your holiday wardrobes and weekend looks but now it’s time to focus on updating your working wardrobe for the Autumn with some polished pieces. And let’s be honest, there is nothing like beating the post holiday blues with a few fresh wardrobe additions. Give your workwear a promotion with my top 5 tips.
1. Swap cotton shirts for silk ones. Not only is silk warm but with a pair of statement earrings, it takes you straight into evening too.
2. As the weather gets colder and wetter, what to wear on your feet can pose a real dilemma. Ballet flats that worked the warmer months won’t cut it so invest in a good quality flat shoes like a loafer. A shoe boot is the perfect transitional shoe as they look great under trousers but also with opaque tights and pencil skirts. And don’t forget to protect your shoes with a weather proofing product to protect your investment.
3. It’s time to rethink your suiting. I love the versatility of separates but this season the trouser suit takes centre stage but don’t worry they are far from masculine and boring. The most important thing is fit and finding a style to suit your body shape. If you are petite a cropped trouser and neat jacket work well or if you are tall try autumns trend for a wider trouser. It is essential the jacket fits your perfectly across the shoulder and don’t be afraid to get the arm lengths altered as this can totally change the look. I recommend all my clients to The London Fashion Workrooms.
4. Autumn calls for a more structured day dress so opt for clean architectural lines in a sturdy fabric. I love the focus on reds, berries and burgundy this season and a dress in these tones would be the perfect update.
5. A midi skirt is perfect for the working wardrobe as you can wear it with bare legs now and opaques into the cooler months. They also work beautifully with boots for a cool casual weekend look.